Name: Upwork Global Inc.
Upwork – 2.75% fee on the transaction amount.
Upwork Pro – $500 fee for each search + 12.75% fee on project amount.
Upwork Enterprise – Price varies – You will need to contact them for a demo.
Owners: Stephane Kasriel
Global Rank: 455 (https://www.alexa.com/siteinfo/upwork.com)
TrustScore: 2.7/10 (https://waystogetmoneyonlineathome.com/trustscorerank)
Upwork, Product Overview
Upwork is a platform formerly known by Elance-oDesk for freelancers swapping money for your knowledge and gigs.
This platform is made and been growing along the years for expert freelancers but novices can expand their experience over here.
You can find jobs in your local area or if your want the best paid job is entirely up to your.
Clients can find also search for the best freelancers and companies according to their project in hands by interviewing and if fitted to the gig hire them.
Upwork have a new real-time chat platform that allows your to speak with freelancers and clients in an easier way to find and hire freelancers and gigs in a reduced time.
Payments can be done by PayPal.
The Good & the Bad
- Very high paying gig’s.
- Vast amount of gigs from different categories.
- Lower commission fees as when a freelancer earns $500 or $10,000 with a client, the freelancer earns a lower fee.
- They have a mobile app where your can talk with your client about certain aspects.
- Big brands and companies always looking out for freelancers.
- Lots of unpaid gig’s.
- Costumer service not very helpful.
- They ban very easily and most times for no reason.
Who is Upwork For?
Upwork is more like a professional type of gig, they require technical and skilled freelancer. If your just known stuff and try to do the job even with some flaws this is not appropriate for your, maybe your should try fiverr.
But if your have all the skills and appropriate training this is the right place for your.
Upwork Tools & Training
Upwork doesn’t have any training available unless your buy it from a freelancer.
They have a plan with additional tools for hiring assistance, pre-funding, consolidated invoicing, customized reporting, and more for an additional fee.
They have also:
- Screening Features.
- In-App Communication Channels.
- Simplified Billing Process.
- The Best Freelancer Search Engine.
The support offered by Upwork is not the best very often you see loads of freelancer’s as well as clients unsatisfied with support given by Upwork. Most times they will ban your account for no reason and then they will not change their minds even if you try to known why they will just say that they won’t exchange any more messages with you. Definitely they are lacking with some proper support.
Is Upwork legit?
Upwork it is a merged version of formerly Elance and Odesk from December 2013.
There is been rumors about Upwork being a Scam! Upwork is definitely legit, but I do believe it’s a lot of scammers on the internet and they do use and abuse a lot of these platforms.
The Upwork website is a completely legit.
Be aware and be careful when choosing your clients and do some research or make some kind of contract before wasting your time and money.
How to start your login account with Upwork?
- To start with you need to have a login account with Upwork, you will need to go to the Upwork Website. There are two types of accounts profiles, we have the Freelancer profile and the Client profiles. Then your have two options:
- Work – It’s a freelancer looking for work;
- Hire – It’s a client offering work and looking for a freelancer.
- After you put your Name and your Email.
- You will be given the option to link your Upwork account to other online accounts such as Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn and DeviantArt.
Linking your profile to your online account will make it easy for Upwork to match your jobs that match your skills and experience. Also, helps you to build your reputation and verify your identity.
- Then you need to add a profile photo.
When adding a profile photo try to be friendly and try to look professional. Try to choose a high quality head shot as it will show your face and gives an idea of who you are.
Profile photos should be centered, focused and clear background. Try to have a smile on your face as it makes you look friendly, professional and truthful.
- Add your title as it is one of the most important sections of your profile. This will tell clients an idea of want you can do or want is your skills.
To write your Title you should consider:
- Be simple and straightforward.
- Be specific, don’t be vain or describe to many skills. Make sure you stick to your best skills and describe your specific niche.
- Use keywords and phrases that describe your skills that might be used by clients.
- Add Your Overview as it is where you will talk about yourself and sell your skills in a few words. Don’t forget to tell your specific skills and use keywords on your niche skills in a professional way.
- Make sure you say how many years of experience you have;
- What industry knowledge do you have;
- What industry you work in and if you are specialized in any area of that industry;
- Any accomplishments you have achieved;
- And if you speak any languages and which languages you are best working on.
- Add an Introduction Video to make your profile stand out and makes the clients that sensation of knowing you and trusting you better as they can connect a name to a face.
- On the video try to introduce yourself;
- Overview of what you do or can do;
- Make sure to tell who is seeing the wish to work with them and to thank them for showing the interest for their video.
- List Your Skills as it is important when clients go to see your profile they go to see your skills for that job category that you applied for, so don’t forget to list on a minimum of five skills relevant for your niche.
Upwork as skill based tests that you can do and show clients how good you are. It makes your profile credible and gives the clients a reassurance that you are fit for the job.
- Select your Experience Level as it is important for clients to known what level of experience you are on as they can assess if you are fit for their project. It is important that you don’t lie about your experience as well as they can rate you and you have a chance of not getting any other gig.
You can choose from Entry, Intermediate or Expert Levels, according how much experience professionally you have. It mostly depends how many years you have been working on where you are expertise in.
- Entry Level it’s when you have just started working not long ago or less than two years.
- Intermediate Level it’s when you have pretty much a good amount of projects under your belt and you feel confident. Normally you have more than 2 years of experience and you are employed and freelancing on the side or freelancing part-time and want to go full-time.
- Expert Level it’s when you pretty much have more than 5 years of experience and a vast amount of projects done.
- Add Your Employment History, It is very important as well to put past employee, clients, projects and qualifications. Don’t forget to focus on your work experience that relates with the job that you want to perform on Upwork.
- Add Your Education it will give an idea of your backgrounds and your credentials. List where have you studied and what degree’s you had in a chronological order with the most recent degree at the top.
- Build Your Portfolio, this section is where you can show some of your past works so clients can see the quality of your work and trust your with their new projects.
Your portfolio should have your best projects in first and make sure it is actualized and organized by categories.
Just a little note before adding those projects to your portfolio it’s always better to ask permission from the client before adding to your portfolio and share it.
- This is your last step Setting Your Hourly Rate. People normally are very confused with this bit. Look at other freelancers in your categories and see how much is what they normally take but be aware that sometimes putting a cheap price makes you look cheap so make sure you match your skills to your hourly price.
My Final Opinion of Upwork
Upwork it can be used by experts on any category you are on, but do not recommend to beginners as it is used by professionals most of the time. I advise very much if you go on with Upwork to make contracts and make sure you known who you are talking to as a lot of scamming going on in the internet so best be careful. To beginners i will recommend another platforms as such Fiverr.
Upwork at a Glance…
Name: Upwork Global Inc.
Owner: Stephane Kasriel
Overall Scam Rank: 75 out of 100
My Overall Rank: 2/10